8.30.2011

Colombiana


I'm sorry I haven't been around much! I don't have a job right now, so I haven't exactly had the money to pay for tickets or many opportunities to see them for free. Anyway, I went out last night with some friends to see Colombiana for my best friend's birthday, and I actually enjoyed it! I mean, from the trailer, I wasn't expecting to not enjoy it. How can a revenge movie that combines a bad-ass chick (Zoe Soldana) and lots of action not be good? #guyproblems

The film is definitely a guilty pleasure as the acting isn't top-notch and the dialogue and story borders on cheap and cliche. It definitely is a Luc Besson film, as the highly contrasted and stylized filming with non-stop and graceful action might imply. I really enjoyed the opening exploration of young Catelaya and the origin of her motive for killing all of these people, and the subsequent action scene that involves the young Catelaya as the mobsters chase her through the streets of Bogota. Beyond that, the film offers little in the way of character development, but definitely makes up for it in the action and eye-candy department.

If you want a revenge-fueled movie that offers more depth, look elsewhere - like Hanna from earlier this year, which is more of a character study than an explosion-centric film. However, if you want something mindless, sexy, and fun, Colombiana might be the movie for you. If you know what to expect, you won't be disappointed. I sure wasn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment