1.27.2012

One for the Money


I was invited to go see a midnight screening of One for the Money by a friend for free, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity. I wanted to see it anyway, but not having to dish out $12 for a ticket was icing on the cake and probably is affecting my opinion on the movie because I actually enjoyed it. 

That said, One for the Money, an adaption of Janet Evanovich's book of the same name, stars Katherine Heigl (Life as We Know It) as an inexperienced bail-bondsman and Jason O'Mara (Terra Nova) as the wanted cop from her romantic past she is chasing. It is a light and enjoyable movie, though often cliche'd at times, that combines a decent amount of comedy and crime-solving. 

The highlights of the movie weren't actually the story or the stars, which for me weren't unbearable, but the wacky side-characters that Heigl interacts with. Debbie Reynolds shines as Plum's eccentric grandmother, especially during a scene at the family dinner table where she plays with her granddaughter's gun. Sherri Shepard and Ryan Michelle Bathe are fantastic as Lula and Jackie, respectively, a pair of criminal informant prostitutes. They definitely stole the show for me. I only wish the movie featured them more. 

One for the Money is definitely not a critic's movie, so if you are looking for a potential award winner, look elsewhere. I know my tastes can be questionable at times, but this movie is definitely a guilty pleasure, and nothing more than that. If you can get past Heigl's weak attempt at a Jersey accent ("Why you messin' with my tasty cakes!"), this movie can be worth checking out -- but only if you know what to expect.

(more like a 2.5/5 but i'm feeling generous.)

No comments:

Post a Comment