4.10.2010

Date Night


I have been waiting a very long time for a movie that combines the talent of Tina Fey and Steve Carell, and I got exactly what I wanted. Date Night is what you would expect from a Carell/Fey combo: awkward conversation and great comedic timing, and nothing more, really. The story is your basic romantic comedy/action combo, and their isn't really much depth to it. This movie is pretty much a vehicle for Fey and Carell to drive their comedic efforts with, and it's light-hearted and funny all the way.

Date Night is a movie about a boring New Jersey couple realizing that they want more out of their marriage after seeing their couplefriend break up. In an attempt to be exciting and spontaneous, Phil (Carell) takes Claire (Fey) out into town to a popular restaurant where they take another couple's reservation. Mistaken identities ensue and Carell and Fey go to work after getting involved in a bribe plot.

This movie is infested with cameos from everybody and their mother: Mark Whalberg, Leighton Meester, Ray Liotta, Taraji P. Henson (!?), will.i.am (!?), James Franco, Mila Kunis, etc. It was exciting to see who would appear next. It was a smart move on the director's part to underplay all the cameos as the movie would have become more about them than it would about Fey and Carell.

I didn't really have any major problem with the movie, other than I wanted more of it. I just wish that the crime story was a little bit more involved and the movie was a little longer. I was, in a sense, a little disappointed and was expecting a lot more from what I saw in the trailer, but I still loved watching Fey and Carell work together, regardless of what I got. If you love either of these stars, then you will be sure to love this movie. However, it is a rom-com at its roots and predictably formulaic, so if you are looking for something a little bit more unpredictable, I would go with something else. But if all you want is Fey and Carell, and some light-hearted material, then go for it! I sure loved it.

2 comments:

  1. Where HASN'T will.i.am made an appearance? That guy is EVERYWHERE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously. I was watching it and I like squinted my eyes (cause he was in the background) and was like is that will.i.am!? and then the movie answered the question for me. he actually appeared as himself.

    ReplyDelete