4.23.2010

Monsters, Inc. 2


The new Walt Disney chairman, Rick Ross, announced today that there is going to be a sequel to Monsters Inc. We can expect it to hit theatres in November 2012, just a few short months after Brave, Pixar's other offering that year. It would be exciting if Pete Docter is attached to the film. He is responsible for how emotionally powerful Monsters and Up are. There is no word on whether or not he will be involved in the movie. Newt was supposed to be coming out instead of Monsters 2, but their is no word on if that project has been delayed, or scratched altogether.

The studio was questioned last year when they announced a sequel to Cars. Although a great film, it isn't exactly known for being their best. I know a handful of people who really want an Incredibles sequel, and most of their other films deserve a sequel more than Cars. Maybe they are doing a follow up to coincide with a Cars land/attraction being built in Disney's California Adventure. I also know that the merchandise for the film sells really well, so it makes sense... it's just not what I want! Expect that to hit theaters as their 2011 offering.

I wonder why Pixar is reviving some of their older films with sequels. The studio is known for their really strong and original ideas, such as Wall E or Up. I know that the Toy Story sequel did really well, but I look forward to their original films every year. Yeah, I'm grateful for the Cars and Monsters sequels because I'll take anything Pixar gives me, but I'm not as excited as I would be if they were releasing original concepts instead.

Disney and Pixar have some strong films hitting theatres over the next couple of years. It should be really exciting! Look forward to Prince of Persia and Toy Story 3 this summer, and Sorcerer's Apprentice and Tangled (aka Rapunzel) later this year.

1 comment: